- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground lean beef (I like Laura's Lean beef)
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed Splenda brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard
One blustery evening, I told the hubs I was making meatloaf. Believe me, I got a less than enthusiastic response. But once he tasted this sweet, rich meatloaf, he was hooked!
There are many ways to make a mean meatloaf. I prefer this sweet recipe as opposed to one with lots of veggies or breading. I also make my meatloaf in a muffin pan to create little mini meatloafs. This also helps with portion control!
And, I know what your thinking, oatmeal? Really? But trust me, you want give this recipe a try. According to my husband, it’s “awesome”.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese, oats and salt. Add the ground beef, mixing well, and drop into a greased muffin pan.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Stir thoroughly and spread over each meatloaf.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
And just for fun…one of my favorite scenes from Wedding Crashers. (Please excuse the foul language, I tried to find the most edited version I could.)
What do you think of this healthy meatloaf recipe?